Hutton Reed, the little man with the big game is receiving interest from schools like Liberty, Western Michigan and Longwood and more. The point guard from Birmingham answered a few questions for me about his game and his future plans.
1. What was your reason for transferring from Mountain Brook (Alabama), a 3x State Championship appearance team, to Blue Ridge prep (Virginia), a Defending state Championship team?
Blue Ridge was a better academic fit for me.
2. How are you fitting in at Blue Ridge Prep?
My transition from Mountain Brook to Blue Ridge has gone pretty smoothly, we both kinda run the same Offense/Defense, so it wasn’t like I was learning a brand new system.
3. What’s it like playing with class of 2015 Clemson commit Scott Spencer, and 2017 top 100 recruit Aamir Simms?
Scott and Aamir are both good friends of mine, Scott committed to Clemson in August, he’s the best player I’ve ever played with or against, he’s a shot blocker, and a 3pt shooter, which will take him far. Aamir is a top 100 recruit according to ESPN, and he’s our most valuable big man, he’s getting recruited pretty heavily right now by a ton of schools, he plays a huge roll for us. Our team is so much more than just Scott Spencer and Aamir Simms, we also have D2 Player of the Year Malik Johnson, who plays PG, he recently committed to Canisius. We also have SG Jemeil King, he’s stepped up a lot this year, he’ll be one our top scorers this year.
4. How good Is Malik Johnson? How does he compare to his brother Rob (who currently plays for Indiana)?
Malik’s the best PG I’ve ever played with or against, I’ve only been playing with Malik for 6 weeks but I can tell he’s a leader, He can shoot the lights out. he was the leading scorer last year, and won Player of the year, he’s underrated, his brother is 4 inches taller than him, but skill wise I believe Malik is just as good if not better.
5. Do you plan on taking any visits this year?
I’m for sure taking a visit to Liberty, and James Madison this year, but still working on some other visits.
6. Right after you left Mountain Brook, a good friend of yours, 5 star recruit, 2019 PF, Trendon Watford, who is ranked 2nd in the nation transferred to Mountain Brook, the rumor is You’ll planned on playing together, is there any chance you’d try to recruit Trendon down to Blue Ridge?
Trendon is the hardest worker I’ve ever played with. I’ve known Him since I was in 2nd grade, I always joked with him about him moving to Mountain Brook and getting a ring with me, but I think Trendon is all set up at Mountain Brook, but I think we might get the chance to play together again.
7. Is there a player you pattern your game after?
I pattern my game after Nate Robinson, a small guard, who can handle the ball well, shoot well, and bring lots of energy to a team.
8. What do you see as the strength of your game?
I consider my 3 point Shooting a strength to my game
9. What do you hope to improve this season?
I hope to get Bigger this season in the weight room.
10. You aren’t the tallest guy on the floor, is there an advantage to being shorter?
It’s definitely easier drawing a foul.
11. Which AAU squad do you play for?
I’ll be playing for Team Loaded this year
12. Which of the schools recruiting you are coming at you the hardest?
I’ve received interest from Liberty, Western Michigan, & Hamilton. but have talked with James Madison, Longwood, Hamilton, South Alabama, and Florida A&M.
13. Are you more of a distributor as a guard or are you looking more to score yourself?
I’m more of a distributor, but get most my scoring off of 3 pointers or fast break lay ups.