Per Duke Sports Information:
DURHAM, N.C. – The 2018 NBA Draft is set for Thursday night at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and the Duke men’s basketball program has a chance for a school-record five selections in a single draft.
Grayson Allen was an automatic entry into the draft after finishing his collegiate eligibility, while the balance of Duke’s 2017-18 starting five – freshmen Marvin Bagley III, Wendell Carter Jr.,Gary Trent Jr., and Trevon Duval each declared for the draft following this season.
Duke has had four players taken in the same draft three previous times – 1986, 1999 and 2017. The 1999 draft made history as the Blue Devils became the first program to produce four first-round picks in one season.
Since the inception of the Draft Lottery in 1985, no team nor coach has produced more lottery picks than the 23 by Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski. The fact becomes even more impressive when considering the rest of the field had a four-year head start on the Blue Devils before Danny Ferry became the school’s first lottery pick in 1989.
The 2018 NBA Draft begins at 7 p.m. ET with coverage on ESPN, ESPN2 and the WatchESPN app.
Duke in the Draft
· Duke has produced a total of 90 NBA Draft picks since 1952.
· Duke has had 57 draft picks under head coach Mike Krzyzewski (since 1981), fourth-most nationally over that time.
· The Blue Devils have had at least one player selected in 18 of the last 20 NBA Drafts, including 27 first-round picks.
· Duke has had at least one player taken in 30 of the 37 NBA Drafts in the Krzyzewski Era.
· Duke players have been selected by 29 of the 30 NBA teams all-time.
· The team to have drafted the most Blue Devils is Detroit (nine), followed by six each for Golden State, Boston and Chicago. Toronto is the only team yet to draft a Duke player.
Duke in the First Round
· Duke’s 42 first-round selections are third most all-time, including 35 under Coach K.
· Coach K’s 35 first-round picks are the most by a college coach in the history of the NBA Draft.
· Duke has produced three No. 1 overall picks in the NBA Draft, tied for the most in draft history.
· Duke’s 23 NBA lottery picks – all coached by Coach K – are the most by both a college program and college coach.
· An NCAA-leading 18 lottery selections have come from Duke since 1999, when the Blue Devils had three.
· In the Lottery Era (since 1985), Duke has produced 11 top-three picks; the next-closest total nationally is four (each by Georgetown, LSU, Ohio State, Kansas and Kentucky).
· Duke’s 12 top-10 picks since 2000 are the most in the nation in that timeframe, leading Kentucky (11), Connecticut (8), Arizona (7) and Kansas (7).
· The Blue Devils have produced 10 first-round picks in the last five years: Harry Giles, Rodney Hood, Brandon Ingram, Tyus Jones, Luke Kennard, Jahlil Okafor, Jabari Parker, Mason Plumlee, Jayson Tatum and Justise Winslow.
· Duke has produced at least one first-round pick in each of the last seven years.
· Ten of Duke’s last 11 NBA Draft picks, and 17 of the last 21, have come in the first round, including 11 lottery picks.