Duke (16-2, 4-2)
Wake Forest (8-11, 1-6)
When: Jan. 23| 9:00 PM (ET)
Where: Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum - Winston-Salem, NC
Watch Live: ESPN
The Duke Blue Devils hit the road again traveling to unranked Wake Forest for their 8th conference game. The Blue Devils enter Tuesday with a 5-2 record in the ACC. TH Demon Deacons of Wake come in1-6 in the ACC and one again in need of a resume building win. Wake is led in the scoring column by Bryan Crawford, who averages 15.9 points and 4.7 assists per game. Crawfords backcourt mates Mitchell Wilbekin and Chaundee Brown are averaging 8.8 and 6.6 points a game respectively. They are joined in the front-court by Terrence Thompson and Doral Moore. Thompson 4.6 points and 4.9 rebounds per game, while Moore is averaging just under 10 points and 8 rebounds.
Duke is led by freshman sensation Marvin Bagley III, who leads Duke and the ACC in points and rebounds at 22.9 and 11.5 a game. Bageley's frontcout companion, Wendell Carter Jr. is averaging 13.9 and 9.0 rebounds per game. The backcourt is handled by a high scoring triumvirate of Trevon Duval, Grayson Allen and Gary Trent Jr. Allen leads the guard in scoring 15.1 points and 4.3 assists a game, Duval leads the team in assists per game at 6.2 per game and Trent Jr. comes in at 14.5 and 4.2 boards.
For Duke to be successful, they need to withstand the Wake crowd and play steady. Duke should look to make the simple play to Bagley and Carter with the Duke guards relocating and keeping the defense in decision making mode. Defensively, Duke has made progress in how it defends ball screens and while the transition defense is still suspect Duke is slowly shoring up as the season continues. Duke will most likely employ more of its full-court zone press to try to speed up Wake and force turnovers.
Projected Starting Lineups:
F Marvin Bagley III
F Wendell Carter Jr.
G Gary Trent Jr.
G Grayson Allen
G Trevon Duval
F Terrence Thompspn
C Doral Moore
G Mitchell Wilbekin
G Chaundee Brown
G Bryant Crawford
- Winners of four straight and six of seven, No. 4 Duke heads to Winston-Salem Tuesday night to battle Wake Forest.
- Duke is looking for the season sweep of the Demon Deacons after winning 89-71 at Cameron Indoor Stadium 10 days ago. The Blue Devils have won seven straight in the series.
- Duke is the only team ranked among the NCAA’s top 10 in scoring (92.1; 1st), rebounds (43.6; 1st) and assists (19.6; 3rd). The Blue Devils are also third nationally in rebound margin (+11.2), fourth in field goal percentage (.513) and sixth in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.62).
- Marvin Bagley III leads the ACC in scoring (21.9) and rebounding (11.5) and is second in the NCAA in double-doubles (15). Trevon Duval leads the ACC in assists (6.2). while Grayson Allen is third in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.65) and Gary Trent, Jr., is fourth in the ACC in three-pointers per game (2.7).
- Wake Forest is 8-11 overall and has a 1-6 ACC record.
- Bryant Crawford leads the Demon Deacons in scoring, averaging 16.2 points. He is fifth among active ACC players in scoring, already having racked up 1,246 points.
- At 248 games, Wake Forest is Duke’s most-frequently played rival. The Blue Devils lead the series versus Wake 170-78.
- Playing without head coach Mike Krzyzewski, who missed the game while recovering from a virus, then-No. 7 Duke beat Wake Forest 89-71, at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Jan. 13. 87 of Duke’s 89 points came from freshmen, with Bagley III’s 30 leading the way.