Per Duke Sports Information:
DURHAM, N.C. – Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced an addition to the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class on Friday as Zion Williamson signed his National Letter of Intent to attend Duke University and play for the Blue Devils next season.
The 6-foot-6 Williamson, rated as the nation’s No. 2 prospect by ESPN, joins a trio of highly-regarded Blue Devils that signed in November – R.J. Barrett, Tre Jones and Cam Reddish. With the Spartanburg, S.C., native Williamson, Duke has the ESPN No. 1 (Barrett), No. 2 (Williamson), No. 3 (Reddish) and No. 10 (Jones) ranked players in the 2018-19 class.
“It’s unbelievable that Zion will be joining our program,” said Krzyzewski. “He and his family are first class. We’re not only bringing Zion in, but his entire family. Zion is a unique player and certainly one of the most gifted athletes that has come into the ACC. He’s heck of a basketball player and a young man, and an outstanding leader.”
Williamson is the 63rd McDonald’s All-American inked by Coach K – the most by any coach. Krzyzewski has signed at least one McDonald’s All-American in 33 consecutive years.
Zion Williamson // 6-6 // 272 // Spartanburg, S.C. // Spartanburg Day School
- Five-star recruit ranked as the No. 2 overall prospect in the class of 2018 by ESPN
- Honored as a McDonald’s All-American
- Represented Team USA at the Nike Hoop Summit
- Rated as the No. 5 overall prospect and the No. 3 small forward in the class by Rivals.com
- Ranked No. 5 overall and the No. 1 power forward in the 2018 recruiting class by Scout.com
- Ranked No. 5 overall and the No. 1 power forward in the 2018 24/7 Sports composite list.
- Led Spartanburg Day School to three consecutive South Carolina Class AA state championships
- Averaged 36.4 points, 11.4 rebounds and 3.5 assists during his high school career
- Racked up 37 points, 17 rebounds and six blocks in the 2018 state championship game and 51 points in the 2017 edition
- Named by USA Today to the 2017 and 2018 American Family Insurance All-USA Boys Basketball First Team
- Led the USA Red Team to the 2017 adidas Nations Championship