Duke Head Men’s Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski has announced an addition to the Blue Devils’ 2021 freshman class with the signing of Jaylen Blakes.
Blakes, a 6-2 combo guard out of Blair Academy in Blairstown, N.J., is rated as the No. 89 overall prospect in ESPN 100’s rankings for the class of 2021.
“We are getting a winner with Jaylen Blakes,” said Krzyzewski. “He is a versatile guard that can score and defend, and we’re certainly thrilled to have him in our program. Jaylen comes from a great family and played for one of the great programs in the northeast in Blair Academy that he helped lead to a state title 2019.”
Jaylen Blakes – 6-2 – 185 – Combo Guard – Blairstown, N.J. – Blair Academy
- A four-star combo guard
- Ranked as the No. 89 overall player in the ESPN 100
- The No. 2 rated player in the state of New Jersey by ESPN
- Averaged 18.2 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game as a junior at Blair Academy
- Helped lead Blair to the Mid-Atlantic Prep League title and NJISAA Prep “A” State Championship in 2018-19 alongside Duke rising junior Keenan Worthington
- Came off the bench and scored a team-high 27 points in the state championship game
- Took part in the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team minicamp in July of 2019
- Also competes for the NY Lightning on the AAU circuit
- Chose Duke over Texas, Georgetown and Stanford, among others
- Former Blue Devil and NBA All-Star Luol Deng played for Blair Academy in 2003
Blakes becomes the fourth member of Duke’s incoming freshman class, joining five-star prospects Paolo Banchero (ranked No. 3 by ESPN), Trevor Keels (No. 21) and AJ Griffin (No. 27). The Blue Devils, who have finished first or second in each of ESPN’s class rankings since 2014, are looking to extend that streak to eight consecutive seasons.