The Blue Devils faced a tough fight from Campbell team that boasts a lineup of all upperclassmen, much like Army, Campbell runs a unique offense that early in the game really stifled the Blue Devils-operating with backdoor cuts and screens.
The Camels built a 10 point lead before the Blue Devils intensified defensively and regained the lead
With a 25 to 11 run to end the half up by 4. The Fighting Camels despite being significantly smaller than the Blue Devils managed to outbound Duke in the first half 20-12 which led to 11 second chance points.
Duke would address their rebounding deficit in the second half, out rebounding Campbell 19-14 and only giving up 5 second chance points. Duke also didn’t allow a 3 point bucket from Campbell in the second half nor any baskets off of backdoor cuts. Duke would pull away slightly to end the game pushing to lead to 11 going away.
Freshman Paolo Banchero led the Blue Devils in scoring with 18 points, adding 7 rebounds. Wendell Moore scored 15 points with 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals. Jeremy Roach added 14 points for the Blue Devils to go along with 4 assists.
- It was by no means a GREAT game for the Blue Devils who in 3 games this season have been out rebounded 112-108 despite having one of the most talented front lines paper in College Basketball.
- Both Theo John and Mark Williams need work on guarding the perimeter with a combined 16 minutes between them, it’s an area that the Blue Devils will need to improve on.
- The Blue Devils received and made halftime adjust well against Campbell as noted earlier gave up no 3’s or backcut baskets in the second half.
- After shooting under 30% in their first 2 games of the season the Blue Devils hot 39.1% against the Fighting Camels (9-23) with Joey Baker shooting 3 of 5.
- Duke shot 50% from the floor and 78% from the free throw line.