Nice to see K is still jokey after all these years, he alludes to a possible starting 5, but it’s still too early to tell. Here’s the link from the Chronicle.
Some passages of note:
- Krzyzewski said that transfer Seth Curry looked â€œreally goodâ€ during practice, and even joked that he was trying to â€œpull an Andre [Dawkins]â€ to get Curry eligible this season (transfers must sit out a year before playing for their new school according to NCAA rules unless a special waiver is obtained).
- If the season were to start now, Krzyzewski said the starters would be Jon Scheyer, Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler, and both Mason and Miles Plumlee. Â Krzyzewski did say, though, that Lance Thomas would play essentially as a sixth starter, and mentioned that freshman Andre Dawkins would be the first guard off the bench.
- Because of illness, freshman Ryan Kelly lost a significant amount of weight over the summer, and for that reason Krzyzewski said Kelly played mainly on the perimeter during preseason practice. Â Now, though, Kelly has regained that weight and has started to practice more on the interior as well.
- Krzyzewski also praised Smith for his improved work ethic over the summer, and expects the juniorâ€™s performance to improve greatly this season.
- Finally, Krzyzewski asked students to be harsher on the referees at home this season, adding that he doesnâ€™t think his star players, like Scheyer or Singler, ever commit a foul, especially in Cameron.